DCWEEK was a ten day run of events and collaboration and included tech, media, bloggers, creatives, fashion and philanthropy. Tuesday, Jun 15, The Northern Virginia Technology Council Social Media Committee with PR firm, Welz & Weisel, hosted the first ever Social Media Awards to highlight some of the DC area’s best use of the medium. The K Street Lounge venue provided early DC nightlife without the loud music but certainly provided a great space for cocktails, California Tortilla burritos and a professional crowd eager to hear the SMA winners. Peter Corbett, one of the strategists behind #DCWEEK, managed to make time to visit and stand on stage thanking everyone for their participation and integrating their events for the week long activities.
Event organizers, Lisa Byrne and Nicole Nolte, were able to generate a solid evening and incorporate the awards with their regular tweetup series, “DC Tweetups & Twineups.” These ladies take their online social media savvy and produce offline meetups bringing local sponsors and avid social media users together for networking, business interaction and of course, wine. What else would two PR and Marketing professionals do with great ideas and a diverse social following?
NVTC Social Media Committee Judges for the Social Media Awards:
- Amber Harris (@TheNuwanda) : Digital Communications, Discovery Communications
- Brian Dresher (@bdresher) : Social Media and Digital Partnerships, USATODAY.com
- Shashi Bellamkonda (@shashib) : Network Solutions
Categories and winners:
- Best Use of Facebook | Department of State
- Best Use of Twitter | Shady Grove Eye & Vision Care
- Best Use of LinkedIn | Army Contracting Command
- Best Use of Viral Videos | Neustar
- Best Use of a Corporate Blog | TANDBERG
- Best Integrated Social Media Campaign | Arlington County Government
Check out the video from the night and congratulations to our area Social Media Award champions!